Five things to know about Carlos Alcaraz ahead of first ATP semi-final
17-year-old Carlos Alcaraz booked a place in his first ATP semi-final with a comfortable victory over Casper Ruud at the Andalucia Open.
Tennishead looks at five things you should know about the 17-year-old Spaniard.
1) Alcaraz becomes youngest ATP tour semi-finalist since 2014
After an electrifying run at the Andalucia Open, Alcaraz becomes the youngest player to reach an ATP tour level semi-final since Alexander Zverev in Hamburg (2014).
The Spaniard, who entered the event as a wildcard, beat compatriot Feliciano Lopez before an impressive victory over fellow clay specialist and Next Gen talent Casper Ruud.
He will now face a tough test against fellow Spaniard Juame Munar as he bids to reach his first ATP tour final.
2) The Spaniard has Juan Carlos Ferrero as his coach
Fellow Spaniard and former World No 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero is the coach of Carlos Alcaraz, with Carreno Busta also thought to be supporting Alcaraz after watching him win the Barcelona Challenger title alongside Ferrero.
3) Alcaraz became the fifth-youngest player to win multiple titles
After beating Damir Dzumhur in Barcelona, Alcaraz joined elite company by becoming the fifth-youngest player to win multiple titles in the history of the ATP Challenger Tour. At the age of 17 years and five months, only Richard Gasquet, Felix Auger-Aliassime, Rafael Nadal and Bernard Tomic were younger when they won their second title.
4) The Spaniard believes his playing style is similar to Roger Federer
Alcaraz plays a very aggressive style of play with a lot of winners. Alcaraz believes his style is more or less like Roger Federer’s, frequently coming to the net and playing a lot of drop shots. Despite his playing style, Alcaraz’ idol is compatriot Rafael Nadal.
5) Alcaraz won his first ATP tour match aged just 16
At the age of 16, Alcaraz made his ATP main draw debut at the Rio Open in early 2020, defeating fellow countryman Albert Ramos-Vinolas in three hours and 36 minutes, after receiving a wildcard for the singles main draw.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner