WATCH: Roger Federer survives scare as Adrian Mannarino retires with knee injury
No. 6 seed Roger Federer reached the second round of Wimbledon 2021 after Adrian Mannarino was forced to retire in a close battle.
The contest was locked at two sets all – with the score 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 3-6, 6-2 to Federer when the Frenchman had to withdraw.
The 39-year-old started the contest by holding from 0-40 down in the opening game, before Mannarino twice held from 15-40 for 1-1 and 2-2.
The Swiss then reached the same score on his opponent’s serve at 5-4, and converted a second set point.
The second set went to a tiebreak after Federer saved the only break points at 2-2. The 33-year-old Mannarino earned three mini-breaks to take it 7-3.
Roger Federer advances to the second round of #Wimbledon after Adrian Mannarino went down with an apparent knee injury.
Mannarino tried to continue, but ultimately had to retire. pic.twitter.com/AlAZqK4Xb6
— ESPN (@espn) June 29, 2021
The world No. 41 then continued his ascendancy in the third set as he broke for 2-1, before Federer hit straight back. The Frenchman broken again, to love, to go up 4-2 – and closed the set out to take the lead.
Federer then saved a break point in the opening game of the fourth set, before breaking in the following game. With the world No. 8 leading 4-2, Mannarino slipped and injured his knee.
The 33-year-old played on but retired after losing the next two games to drop the fourth set.
Eight-time champion Federer will play Richard Gasquet in the second round.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner