Federer hoping to rediscover his golden touch
Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Ana Ivanovic have all touched down in Beijing and Federer was quick to tell the worlds media he is hoping to have a dream Olympic Games.
Roger Federer will carry the Swiss flag during Fridays opening ceremony, which happens to fall on his 27th birthday.
Once Fridays pleasantries are out of the way, Roger Federer will concentrate on putting his recent problems behind him and adding a gold medal to his impressive haul of trophies.
“For me it is really important over the next couple of weeks, starting here at the Olympics, going on to the US Open,” he told AFP news agency.
“I still have plenty of tournaments to do well in, and I hope I can start here at the Olympics and fulfil my dream to win gold.”
Roger Federer is hoping that his extra early arrival in China will stand him in good stead once play begins.
“I’m here a few days earlier than in previous Olympics,” said Federer.
“For our purposes usually we’re there 2-3 days ahead but now 7-8 days so actually that’s a lot of practice. And I had a good flight in from the States, which is a long trip, but I feel fine.”
Roger Federer got stuck into a two-hour practice session with compatriot Stanislas Wawrinka on Beijings Centre Court while a few hundred feet away rival Nadal warmed up with fellow Spaniard Tommy Robredo.
Nadal and Robredo enjoyed a light-hearted session which featured a game of tennis football before Nadal who will become world No.1 on August 18 signed autographs for waiting fans.
“It’s something a little different to what we are used to but it’s good,” Nadal told reporters. “Now that I’m going to be number one my only thoughts are on the Olympics.”
The French Open and Wimbledon champion did admit he was feeling the effects of a gruelling year, however.
“I only got here yesterday and I’m jet-lagged. I’m more tired than normal, Nadal admitted. Physically I’ve had a lot of matches this summer but in three or four days I will feel different.”
The Olympic tennis event begins on Sunday August 10.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner