‘Evolving in the right way’ – Rafael Nadal reveals reason behind improved showing
Rafael Nadal says he feels his serve is ‘evolving in the right way’ after a much improved showing against Kei Nishikori in Barcelona.
Nadal has been well below his best lately, losing to Andrey Rublev and then dropping a set to world number 11 Ilya Ivashka earlier this week.
He was in much more commanding mood against Nishikori, even bageling the former world number four in the opening set, and he says improvement in his serve is a key reason for it.
“I think my serve is evolving the right way,” Nadal said.
“Of course when you play a very bad day like I did against Rublev in Monte-Carlo with my serve you need some time, but I am feeling that my serve is evolving the right way.
“I served better than yesterday today and in important moments I had a couple of good serves.”
Despite the improved performance, Nadal still lost the second set, meaning he has been taken the distance in each of his last three matches.
However, after playing so little compared to usual due to the pandemic, Nadal says that is probably a good thing.
“The past three matches that I played were three sets and I don’t take something negative [from that],” he said.
“For me it’s something very positive. I need time on court, I need to go through these moments and the past two matches I went through these moments with a victory.
“Tomorrow (Friday) is another opportunity. I’m excited to keep playing and [have] another chance to play better.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner