Emma Raducanu winning US Open ‘is one of the greatest achievements in women’s sport’, insists Dominic Thiem
Dominic Thiem has heaped praise on 2021 US Open champion Emma Raducanu, labeling it ‘one of the greatest achievements in women’s sport’.
Raducanu became the first qualifier in history to win a Grand Slam title, while rising to British number one and 23 in the world rankings.
The 18-year-old won her maiden Major title without dropping a single defeat, including wins against Belinda Bencic, Maria Sakkari and Leylah Fernandez.
Thiem said Raducanu’s run in New York was unlike anything he had seen before in sport.
“For me this is one of the greatest achievements in women’s sport. It was an unbelievable journey, you just have to look at the numbers,” Dominic Thiem said. “She didn’t lose one set the whole tournament. She came from qualifying and she didn’t even play one tiebreak. We have probably never seen anything like this before.”
Thiem highlighted Raducanu’s technique and footwork, given that she is a teenager that was playing in just her second Grand Slam. Raducanu won 10 consecutive matches, including qualifying, across three weeks at Flushing Meadows, marking one of the greatest breakthroughs ever seen in tennis.
“Also the way she plays, her technique, the way she moves, somehow she brought it up to a new level for the whole game… it was great to see,” Thiem added. “Perhaps it is the greatest breakthrough of all time.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner