‘For him to say that, it’s harsh’ – Ajla Tomljanovic blasts legend after Emma Raducanu comments
Ajla Tomljanovic has blasted John McEnroe for his comments on Emma Raducanu after she was forced to withdraw from Wimbledon.
Tomljanovic was a set and a break up in their last 16 match on Centre Court when Raducanu appeared to be struggling to breathe and asked for a medical timeout.
The 18-year-old Brit left the court for treatment and was unable to return, handing Tomljanovic a spot in the quarter-finals.
Afterwards, Grand Slam legend McEnroe said he believes the occasion ‘got too much’ for Raducanu, but Tomljanovic is not having nay of that.
“I did hear the reasoning,” Tomljanovic said after the match when asked about McEnroe’s comments.
“I’ll start with saying that I can’t imagine being in her shoes at 18 playing a fourth round in your home country. It’s something I can’t even imagine.
“For him to say that, it’s definitely harsh. I have experienced something similar but not to that extent. I know that it’s a real thing.
“I’ve spoken to athletes that have gone through that. It’s not easy. When I heard the reasoning, I almost felt worse about it because I know how bad that can feel.
“But then again, it didn’t happen to me. I can’t imagine how she must be feeling having to pull out.
“Being down 6-4, 3-Love, you can come back from that quickly, especially on grass. It’s really sad that she had to do that. I do feel sorry.”
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner