‘It was weird!’ – Mats Wilander says struggling Dominic Thiem is ‘not as motivated as before’
Mats Wilander believe the manner in which Dominic Thiem lost to Pablo Andujar at the French Open confirms his motivation levels have dropped.
Thiem started the match in fine touch, quickly establishing a two-set lead and looking in total command of the contest.
However, he was a completely different player after that, allowing Andujar to get a foothold in the match and eventually win it.
“Yes, this was a big surprise,” Wilander told Eurosport. “I actually predicted him to get all the way to the finals.
“I thought that he would be nicely rested. Of course, we know that he has been having a few problems with his tennis.
“But Nicely rested and he supposedly trained really hard, and then he was up two sets to love, so that’s even weirder.
“When you see the whole match he looks a little bit tired. He is not as motivated as before.
“I’m sure he is going to be back, but it does feel like he might need to take a little bit of a break at this moment.”
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner