Dominic Thiem can topple Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal this year, says Mats Wilander
Dominic Thiem could overhaul Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal this year and become the best player in the world, says Mats Wilander.
Thiem won his maiden Grand Slam title last year when he won the US Open.
It was his fourth major final, underlining just how consistent a performer he has become in the biggest events.
And, according to former world number one Mats Wilander, Thiem is capable of finishing the year on top of the ATP.
“I think he has a good chance of being the best player in the world at the end of 2021, to be honest,” Wilander told Reuters of Dominic Thiem.
“I think he proved to himself that even without playing his best, he could win the final of a Grand Slam.
“He should have beaten Djokovic in the final [of the Australian Open] last year if he hadn’t panicked and risked too much.
“Then he was tired at the French Open and the ATP Finals, which I can’t believe he didn’t win. But he is not intimidated anymore on the big stages.
“He realised that ‘Hang on, I’m the one bullying these two [Djokovic and Nadal] around on the court, I’m deciding how things are going to work out, the racket is in my hands.
“He might not beat them every time but he doesn’t care.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner