Dominic Thiem bageled as he is dumped out of the Australian Open by Grigor Dimitrov
Dominic Thiem has been dumped out of the Australian Open in straight sets after the meekest of defeats to Grigor Dimitrov.
Thiem, who won the US Open last September, had looked in decent enough form throughout the tournament so far, and he produced an outstanding performance to beat Nick Kyrgios in the third round.
However, he was barely even recognisable on Rod Laver Arena, being bageled on the way to a 4-6, 4-6, 0-6 defeat to the 18th seed Bulgarian.
“Throughout every season you have one of those matches where you just keep the ball rolling and I think today was just one of those days,” Dimitrov said.
“I was entirely trying to focus on what I was doing and the game plan I had.
“He might have actually struggled with something which I don’t know, but I want to give myself credit for staying focused and composed throughout the three sets.
“He’s an unbelievable player and a great friend off the court so I’m not going to be that humble. Of course I’m very happy to be in the quarter-finals.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner