‘Organisers are considering starting Olympics matches later’, reveals Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic revealed matches may start later for the rest of the Tokyo Olympics after he spoke to organisers about playing schedule concerns.
The world number one said it would be “better for everyone” to begin matches later “despite the logistical difficulties that this implies”.
Several players including Djokovic, Daniil Medvedev and Fabio Fognini have bemoaned the hot and humid midday conditions in Tokyo – where play has been starting at 11am local time.
Djokovic has defeated Hugo Dellien and Jan-Lennard Struff without losing a set to progress to the last 16 of the men’s singles draw.
“I have spoken to organisers and, despite the logistical difficulties that this implies, they agreed to study the possibility of starting the matches later for the remainder of the tournament. It would be better for everyone,” the Serbian said in a press conference.
The 34-year-old will face the No. 16 seed – Spain’s Alejandro Davidovich Fokina – in the third round on Wednesday. Djokovic won the only previous encounter between the pair 6-2, 6-1 in Rome in May.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner