‘One of my best serving performances’, declares Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic has reflected on what he described as one of his best ever serving displays in his first round Wimbledon win against Jack Draper.
The top seed and world No. 1 fired 25 aces and hit just one double fault in his four-set victory against the British wildcard.
Djokovic made a terrific 78% of his first serves – winning an imperious 87% of the points – and also won 67% of his second serve points.
“I think I’ve probably had one of the best serving performances that I can recall on any surface,” the Serbian said in a post-match press conference.
LOL. Now Djokovic won a game in 44 (!) seconds. This time it was all aces. pic.twitter.com/rr8ij6afpI
— Cork Gaines (@CorkGaines) June 28, 2021
“Someone told me I matched the record that I had, whether it was earlier this year or last year in Australia – also 25 aces in four sets. So I could not be more pleased with the rhythm of my serve.
“On grass – the quickest surface in our sport – it helps a lot to getting a lot of free points on that first serve. I thought he [Draper] was playing well, he was fighting.
“For him, a unique occasion playing for the first time on Wimbledon Centre Court. He has done well. I had break chances in the first set to come back into the match, but he came up with some good serves.”
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner