‘It’s kind of 50/50’ – Novak Djokovic casts doubts over Olympic participation
Novak Djokovic has cast doubts over his hopes of winning a Golden Slam after revealing he is “divided” over whether he will play the Olympics.
It was announced last week that the delayed 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games – which begin on Friday July 23 – will be held without fans due to the Covid-19 situation in Japan.
Djokovic – who defeated Matteo Berrettini to claim the Wimbledon title on Sunday – has never won an Olympic gold medal.
The Serbian could become the first man to win all four Grand Slam titles and a singles gold in the same year – having taken the first three majors of 2021.
“Yeah, that’s not great news (on the Olympics restrictions). I received that news yesterday or two days ago and it was really disappointing to hear,” Djokovic said in his final press conference.
“I also hear that there’s going to be a lot of restrictions within the village and possibly you would not be able to see other athletes perform live.
“I can’t even have my stringer that is a very important part of my team, I’m limited with amount of people I can take in my team as well. So, I’ll have to think about it.
“Right now – as I said, my plan was always to go to Olympic Games – but right now, I’m a little bit divided. It’s kind of 50/50 because of what I heard in the last couple of days.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner