‘I see myself as always having a chance to beat Djokovic’, asserts Zverev
Alexander Zverev has spoken of the need to “be able to do things that not many other players can do” to defeat world number one Novak Djokovic.
The German revealed he sees himself “as someone who always has a chance” against the Serbian ahead of the delayed 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Djokovic is heavy favourite to win the Olympic gold medal – having won the Australian Open, French Open, and Wimbledon titles this year.
World number five Zverev will be seeded fourth at the Games – where the tennis event will start on Saturday July 24.
“You have to be able to do things that not many other players can do. You have to run with him and you have to be able to overpower him,” Zverev said in an interview with Sportschau.
“I see myself as someone who always has a chance against him. If you play like him, you will lose. You have to play classes better than him.
“I think the best players always have such pressure. It’s always very positive to feel something like this. Then you know that you are one of the best.”
The pair have met on eight occasions, with Djokovic winning six times – including the last five.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner