‘I do not see the finish line of my career’ – Novak Djokovic targets 2024 Olympics
Novak Djokovic has expressed his desire to compete and win a medal at the 2024 Olympics after his disappointment at the Tokyo Games.
The world number one revealed he does “not see the finish line” of his career and identified the Olympics as an event that inspires him to continue playing.
The 34-year-old was defeated by Pablo Carreno Busta in the bronze medal match in the men’s singles event in Tokyo, after falling to Alexander Zverev in the semi-finals.
Djokovic then withdrew from the mixed doubles bronze medal match – after he and his partner Nina Stojanovic lost to the Russian pair of Aslan Karatsev and Elena Vesnina in the last four.
“Three years [until the 2024 Games] – not that far, but on the other hand it is, since I do not have 25 years anymore. I do not see the finish line of my career,” the Serbian said in a press conference.
“Olympics, Davis Cup, ATP Cup, and the Grand Slams, those are the tournaments that inspire me the most to go on. It is a privilege to play for Serbia, I want to play in Paris. If I am there, I hope to win a medal.”
The Paris 2024 Olympics would be Djokovic’s fifth Games appearance. He has won one medal – bronze in singles on his debut at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner