‘Djokovic has to prioritise Calendar Slam’, thinks Wimbledon legend
Novak Djokovic has a great opportunity to “grab the impossible dream” of a Calendar Slam, believes a former Wimbledon champion.
Pat Cash thinks trying to win all four majors this year should be the priority for the world No. 1 over winning the Olympics.
The 1987 Wimbledon winner and former world No. 4 also rated the 2021 Wimbledon men’s draw as one of the weakest in years.
Djokovic defeated Matteo Berrettini in four sets to claim his sixth Wimbledon title – and the third leg of a potential Calendar Slam.
“Well for Novak, I think this year is a great opportunity for him to grab a bunch of Grand Slams and grab all the titles,” the Australian told L’Equipe.
— beIN SPORTS (@beinsports_FR) July 14, 2021
“Certainly Wimbledon – without disrespecting the other players – was one of the weaker men’s side draws that I’ve seen in many, many years.
“And that’s because we’ve got two of the big stars are coming back from injuries – Andy Murray and Roger Federer – who played well but weren’t at the peak of their career.
“The younger players are coming through, but they’re not quite there yet. And Novak is just sitting on top of that mountain as the king of the castle.
“And so this is the year that Novak can really grab the impossible dream – you know it really is, it’s there. The Olympics – okay, maybe he wants to do that.
“But certainly, his goal is now to try and win all four Grand Slams in the calendar year. It’s not easy to do, but I really do think it’s in his sights and that has got to be his priority. It’s the absolute peak of our sport to win all four Grand Slams.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner