Djokovic closes in on Nadal and Federer G.O.A.T title
Novak Djokovic is one Wimbledon win away from joining Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer in the race to be hailed as the greatest tennis player of all time
Novak Djokovic dispatched Denis Shapovalov in an engaging semi final clash at Wimbledon. The Serb now just needs to beat first time Grand Slam finalist Matteo Berrettini in Sunday’s men’s singles final to reach 20 Grand Slam singles titles, the same number as his arch rivals Nadal and Federer.
Djokovic edged past an inspired but sometimes wild Shapovalov in three tense sets of high quality tennis. Djokovic found himself a break down in the first two sets but won them both thanks to his superiority on the big points and a bucket load of unforced errors from his opponent.
Expect fireworks 💥
— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) July 9, 2021
The Serb is now odds on favourite for the 2021 Wimbledon men’s singles title which would also give him his third Grand Slam title of 2021 and leave him just one tournament victory away from being immortalised as one of only two male players, alongside Australian Rod Laver, to ever achieve the calendar Grand Slam.
Shapovalov has scored his best ever result at a Grand Slam and has gone some way to backing his considerable talent with a deep run in one of tennis’ biggest events.
Djokovic will face Matteo Berrettini in the final after the Italian big server dispatched Pole Hubert Hurkacz in the other semi final.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner