‘Blessed to play the best and test myself’ – Tsitsipas ahead of Djokovic final showdown
Stefanos Tsitsipas said it is “time for me to show that I’m capable of playing Novak Djokovic” ahead of the pair’s French Open final clash.
The fifth seed will face world No. 1 Djokovic in his first Grand Slam final on Sunday – after the Serbian defeated Rafael Nadal in an epic last four match.
The Greek beat sixth seed Alexander Zverev in five sets on Friday to win in his fourth Major semi-final match.
“I have a day and a half to rejuvenate and try to regroup. My recovery abilities are pretty good,” the 22-year-old said in a post-match interview.
“It’s time for me to go for my chances. It’s time for me to show that I’m capable of playing Novak.
“I’m proud of myself. I actually love what I’m doing. I love that I get to play in this stadium. I’m grateful for every single match that I get to play.
“I’m obviously just blessed to have the opportunity to play against the best and test myself, something that I’ve always dreamed and wished to happen one day.”
Tsitsipas has won two of seven career meetings with Djokovic – and is 0-3 on clay.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner