Andy Murray: ‘Next Gen don’t share work ethic with me, Djokovic, Nadal and Federer’
Andy Murray has identified passion and work ethic as common factors in the success of the ‘Big Four’ of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, and himself.
Three-time Grand Slam winner Murray also questioned whether younger ATP players have the same work ethic and approach as the ‘Big Four’.
The 34-year-old will face 10th seed Denis Shapovalov in the third round of Wimbledon today.
The current world No. 118 is playing as a wildcard in his first singles appearance at the All England Club since 2017.
“Yes, I think passion is a common factor [between Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and himself],” Murray said in an interview with La Nacion.
“I think there is also a common work ethic and approach that maybe other younger players don’t have in the same way.”
The Brit also spoke of the experience of winning the first of his two Wimbledon titles in 2013 – after defeating Djokovic in the final.
“Actually, it was a really surreal moment for me. Winning Wimbledon was what I worked for my whole life, so to have achieved that goal felt really strange,” Murray added.
“I don’t remember much about the match or the immediate aftermath because I think I was pretty dazed, so in the days afterwards I just tried to reflect on what had happened.
“I found I enjoyed the 2016 win more because I made sure I took stock of what was going on and enjoyed the moment more.”
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner