Safina warns of strikes against ‘Roadmap’
Dinara Safina has warned that leading players may boycott the WTA Tour next season over changes to the tournament scheduling from 2009.
Dinara Safina, set to rise to a career-high world No.2 ranking this Monday after a semi-final appearance at the Kremlin Cup this week, said players aren’t happy with the WTA’s ‘Roadmap Calendar’.
“No one understands which tournaments you can play and which you can’t”
“If they don’t listen to what we have to say we might even choose to boycott the new Tour,” said Dinara Safina after losing to compatriot Vera Zvonareva in Moscow on Saturday.
“No one seems to understand which tournaments you can play and which you can’t.”
The WTA’s new schedule is meant to produce a “healthier calendar” with a longer off-season and less changes of surface. The current 26 Tier I and Tier II events will be reduced to 20 Premiere tournaments, with players having to play in at least 10.
Under the new ‘Roadmap’, the four
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner