Safina spoils J.J.’s quest for No.1 spot
Jelena Jankovic’s hopes of becoming the new world No.1 are going to have to wait after Dinara Safina ran out the 7-6(3) 6-1 winner in their East West Classic semi-final.
The Serb lost the first set on a tie-break before being swept aside by Dinara Safina, whose hard-hitting game caused Jankovic problems throughout.
“My time will come” – Jelena Jankovic
Jankovic had failed to serve out the first set at 5-4, before a series of forehand errors handed Safina the tie-break. From then, Jankovic completely lost her way and Dinara Safina raced to victory.
The world No.2, who had entered the tournament despite a torn meniscus in her left knee, admitted she ran out of steam.
“Dinara played very well,” Jankovic said afterwards. “I had some chances in the first set and then I played a bad tie-breaker. In the second set, I couldn’t go anymore. My legs were shaking a little.
“I had an injury and was supposed to be out quite a long time and at least I had an opportunity to compete here, even though I wasn’t at my best.”
As for the No.1 spot, “hopefully my time will come,” Jankovic said. “It is not the end of the world.”
Safina will meet Italian Flavia Pennetta in the final after the Italian beat American wildcard Bethanie Mattek 3-6 6-2 7-5.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner