‘Devastated’ Andy Murray out of the Australian Open due to coronavirus complication
Andy Murray has confirmed he will miss the Australian Open after being unable to quarantine ahead of the tournament.
Murray was all set to travel to Australia last week but was halted in his tracks by a positive coronavirus test result.
He had still planned to go out later if possible, but it has not been possible to work a quarantine period into the schedule, forcing him to miss out.
“Gutted to share that I won’t be flying out to Australia to compete at the Australian Open,” Andy Murray said.
“We’ve been in constant dialogue with Tennis Australia to try and find a solution which would allow some form of workable quarantine, but we couldn’t make it work.
“I want to thank everyone there for their efforts, I’m devastated not to be playing out in Australia – It’s a country and tournament that I love.”
Murray had hoped to make a big impact this following his injury nightmare, but he will now remain in Britain to rethink his scheduling plans.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner