Denis Shapovalov on ATP rankings system: ‘There are positives and negatives’
Denis Shapovalov says there are both positives and negatives attached to the current ATP rankings system, but he admits he does have sympathy for Andrey Rublev.
In an attempt to protect players who are unable or unwilling to play during the Covid pandemic, ATP rankings points won before the crisis have a degree of protection.
That has prompted Alexander Zverev to describe them as ‘absurd’ and Rublev to express frustration that he is not higher, and Shapovalov admits it is an imperfect system.
“There’s obviously always going to be positives and negatives in the ranking systems,” Shapovalov said. “And it’s difficult to climb because players are not losing points.
“But at the end of the day, it’s what they decide and we kind of have to go out there and do it. So I don’t know, I haven’t thought about it too much.
“In one sense it is good for me, because I have semis in Miami so if I lose early, I think I only lose 50% of the points or whatever.”
“On the other side, of course, it’s really tough to climb. Like I was always amazed like Rublev has won like 25 500s and he hasn’t been able to climb so much.
“So one side says it’s good that you’re not dropping but on the other sense, like you said, it’s difficult to climb so I’m not really sure.
“But again, I’m not involved in it. And I don’t know what other options they really had.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner