Top

Del Potro out of Davis Cup tie

0 Shares

 

Originally published on: 26/02/10 12:18

Argentina captain Modesto Vazquez is not set to announce his team until the end of next week’s ATP tournament in Buenos Aires, but Del Potro has already ruled himself out of the tie, which will be played on March 6-8.

Del Potro told www.fuebuena.com.ar: “I will not play because I am currently playing on hard courts and the Davis Cup tie will be on clay. So it would be very difficult for me.”

He added: “However, after the first round, if we win, I will be there.”

Argentina – runners-up in 1981, 2006 and 2008 – will play France or the Czech Republic if they pass Holland.

Del Potro added the team are as motivated as last year, when they lost the final 3-1 to Spain in Argentina.

“We lost the final at home and now we are stronger,” he said.

“We learnt a lot from the Spain clash and we have a good team, so we’ll try to win the cup this year.”

Guillermo Canas and Agustin Calleri have also withdrawn from the team.

Now get the WORLD’S BEST TENNIS MAGAZINE here


0 Shares
Copy link