Del Potro forced to wait to learn semi opponent
Originally published on: 26/02/10 12:48
Play was twice suspended at Arthur Ashe Stadium on Thursday night as rain disrupted the US Open for the first time in 11 days of play at the last grand slam championship of the year.
Yet after nearly three hours of delays, with many fans having remained on site and even the ball boys lined up on court and ready to resume, officials announced that play had been called for the night with third seed Nadal of Spain leading the Chilean 11th seed 7-6 (7-4) and leading a second set tie-break 3-2.
Del Potro had earlier come from a set down to beat 16th seed Marin Cilic in four sets before night fell on Ashe.
The Argentine sixth seed was a set behind and 3-1 down in the second to his fellow 20-year-old before turning the game on its axis to defeat the 16th seeded Croatian 4-6 6-3 6-2 6-1.
The victory, in two hours and 33 minutes under cloudy skies at Arthur Ashe Stadium, means del Potro will play the winner of the protracted Nadal-Gonzalez match in Saturday’s semi-finals.
The sixth seed said that despite falling behind early in the match he was always convinced victory would be his.
“The first set was just a break (of serve), one good point for him in the third game of the match, a very good passing shot,” del Potro said.
“I always thought I had a chance. If you fight until the final point, of course you will have opportunities to break or play a better game.”