‘It’s a huge disappointment’ – Davis Cup confirms there will be no Finals in 2020
The 2020 Davis Cup Finals has been called off, along with the Fed Cup, due to the coronavirus crisis.
Tennis, along with many other sports, has been severely disrupted due to the coronavirus pandemic. Tournaments have been cancelled since early March, although both the ATP and WTA are planning on resuming in August.
However, the Davis Cup and Fed Cup have taken a safety-first approach and opted to skip over the 2020 tournaments before resuming as normal next year.
“It’s a huge disappointment for all of us that the Davis Cup Finals will not be held in 2020,” Davis Cup chief Gerard Pique said in a joint statement with the ITF.
“We don’t know how the situation will develop in each qualified nation, or if restrictions in Spain will remain sufficiently eased, as such it is impossible to predict the situation in November and guarantee the safety of those travelling to Madrid.”
ITF President David Haggerty added: “This is a tough decision to have to make, but delivering an international team event on this scale while guaranteeing the health and safety of all involved ultimately poses too great a risk.”
In 2019, the Davis Cup changed to a week-long finals format following investment from Kosmos worth $3billion over 25 years.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner