‘Dan Evans disrespected me’, says Lorenzo Musetti after saving four match points in dramatic win
Rising ATP star Lorenzo Musetti said Dan Evans disrespected him after he beat the world No. 32 to reach the quarter-finals of the Sardegna Open.
The 19-year-old prevailed 6-1, 1-6, 7-6 (10-8) against top seed Evans in a thrilling second round match at the ATP 250 event in Cagliari.
World No. 90 Musetti saved four match points – and recovered from 0-4 and 3-6 down – in the third set tiebreak. The Italian threw his racket to the ground in celebration after converting his third match point.
“There are respectful experienced players on the pitch. Others like Evans, they try to use my youth to shoot (win) matches,” said Musetti in his post-match press conference.
“But it’s all experience for me. Evans disrespected me. I don’t want to be treated like a young man.”
Musetti added in a post-match interview: “It was really tough. I was 3-6 down in the tiebreak and he was playing good, always going to the net and always aggressive.
“I tried to stay calm and tried to play each point. That is what I did and it worked, so I am really happy and really proud of myself with this win.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner