Dan Evans backs up Djokovic upset by beating David Goffin to reach Monte Carlo semi-finals
Dan Evans defeated David Goffin to follow up his win against Novak Djokovic and reach the semi-finals of the Monte Carlo Masters on Friday.
The world No. 33 edged the 11th seed 5-7, 6-3, 6-4 in a tough quarter-final battle at the ATP Masters 1000 event. The 30-year-old had stunned world No.1 Djokovic 6-4, 7-5 in the third round on Thursday.
Goffin won four straight games to steal the first set after Evans had led 5-3, before the Brit responded by breaking twice to take the second set.
In the third set, Evans crucially saved three break points from 0-40 at 1-1 and four more at 4-4. He then converted a first match point with the Belgian serving at 4-5, 30-40 to seal another remarkable victory.
“Just to come back today and back it up was probably the best thing about it,” Evans told Prime Video.
“Probably wasn’t my best display of my game. I felt I got dragged into his game quite a bit and (played) a bit far back.
The Dream Run Continues 💪
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) April 16, 2021
“I know Tim (Henman) is in there now. He’ll probably be telling everybody in the studio I should be serve-volleying, chipping. I knew I was getting far back so it was good to come through in the end.
“I find the clay a bit easier on the body. You know, not as sore the day after. It’s just mentally, you’ve gotta go back again, I felt I was wavering a bit in the first set today.
“You’ve gotta keep going all the way through. I thought I did a good job in the third to keep going point after point and hang in some games I was probably a little lucky to come through.”
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner