‘Coronavirus has changed the tennis world,’ says ATP as they lift lid on challenging decisions
The coronavirus has ‘changed the tennis world’ according to ATP board member Mark Knowles, who has lifted the lid on the decisions they have taken.
Tennis was one of the first major international sports to cancel events due to the coronavirus outbreak, calling a halt to all men’s tennis for six weeks.
That time is also likely to be extended, and Knowles has been discussing the challenges the ATP has faced in trying to navigate the waters through the crisis.
“It has been a very challenging time obviously,” Knowles told the Tennis Channel.
“The world has really changed for us, not just for tennis but globally over the last five days.
“There’s been a lot of conference calls trying to get everybody aligned.
“We are a very international sport so the way we are made up with tournament board reps, player board reps, player council members, our constituents, all the players, they are all over the world.
“So trying to get everybody together and really come up with a unified decision, there are so many layers to this.
“Once you think you’ve got a handle on it, there’s a whole other element, whether it is prize money, pension, player commitment, media commitment.
“There are so many factors to this, it is going to take some time.
“But we feel like we have been out in front as the ATP Tour has been addressing all the issues.
“We’ve looked at almost everything and really tried to be out in front the best that we could.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner