Coco Gauff breaks 10-year WTA ranking record… again
Coco Gauff has taken a huge stride in her seemingly insuppressible rise to the summit of the women’s game, breaking back into the top 50 with a massive eight place jump.
Today’s newly released rankings for the WTA saw the young American rise from No. 55 to No. 47 in the world, breaking into the top 50 for the second time at just 16 years of age. A massive rise of eight places also means that Gauff has recorded the joint-biggest jump in the updated rankings within the top 100.
It is a career-high ranking for the teenager, who is reaping the rewards from an impressive showing in Ostrava last week. Gauff powered through qualifying and into the last-16 of the tournament, where she nearly upset eventual champion Sabalenka.
It is now the second time that she has broken into the top 50. It was earlier this year that Coco Gauff became the first 15 year-old in well over a decade to achieve such a feat.
The pandemic then hampered the teenager’s rise, with crucial missed ranking points at Wimbledon causing her to slip back below the top 50 threshold. But on resumption of competitive tennis, Gauff has shown the world that she is still up for the fight, as she continues to knock on the door of the game’s elite.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner