‘My mentality pushed me to win’ – US sensation Coco Gauff adds another big name to list of scalps
Coco Gauff underlined her status as the most exciting teenage tennis player on the planet by beating world number 11 Aryna Sabalenka at the Top Seed Open.
The 16-year-old, who has already beaten Venus Williams and Naomi Osaka in Grand Slams, was made to work for the win in an almost three-hour epic in Lexington, but came through to win 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 6-4.
Gauff struggled with her serve in the opening set, but showed the maturity to correct it before powering to victory.
“It’s pretty much impossible to play your best tennis for all three hours of a match,” Coco Gauff told reporters after the match.
“Keeping the level high throughout was pretty tough, but that’s just tennis, playing in different conditions, and just starting back on tour.
“I’m not too upset with how I played, I’m most proud of how I handled myself, staying composed on the pressure points.”
“My mentality pushed me to win. We were both playing good tennis. We both had up and downs in the match.
“At the end of the day, it came down to a couple of points, a couple of close calls, that’s tennis in general.”
Gauff will now face Tunisia’s Ons Jabeur for a spot in the semi-finals.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner