‘Coaching Novak Djokovic is very stressful’, admits Goran Ivanisevic
Goran Ivanisevic revealed that it is “very demanding” to coach Novak Djokovic because “we only count victories and Slams”.
The Croatian said that he loves the role, though, as it pushed him to “be a better coach and a better person”.
World number one Djokovic secured his 20th Grand Slam crown by winning a sixth Wimbledon title last week.
Ivanisevic – a former Wimbledon champion and world number two – has coached the Serbian since 2019.
“To be honest, it is very stressful. People think my job with Novak is easy, but it is not. I give you my job for one week and you see if you are going to give me back my job or not,” Ivanisevic told Tennis.com.
“It is great to work with such a great athlete and player, but very demanding also. A final is not good enough. You need to win. We only count victories. We only count Slams.
“That is huge stress. But I choose that. I love it. It pushes me to learn more and be a better coach and a better person. I really enjoy it.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner