‘Clay results show Rafa Nadal is half a step slower’, believes Boris Becker
Boris Becker said results during the clay season show Rafael Nadal is “half a step slower or gets tired a little faster” and that other players “have caught up a bit”.
Six-time Grand Slam champion Becker also believes there is no tournament that is “physically more demanding” than the French Open.
During the European clay court season – Nadal has won the Barcelona and Rome titles, and reached the quarter-finals in Monte Carlo and Madrid.
“Normally, you would say: ‘Nadal has won three out of four clay court tournaments. That didn’t happen this year,” Becker told Eurosport.
“He won a smaller tournament with Barcelona and now finally Rome – Stefanos Tsitsipas won in Monte Carlo and Sascha Zverev in Madrid.
“You have to say quite clearly that the other players have caught up a bit there, or the other way around. Nadal will be 35 years old at the beginning of June. There is no tournament that is physically more demanding than Roland Garros.
“Maybe it’s already the first sign of the times with Nadal that he’s half a step slower or gets tired a little faster than before. In the end, you can also see that in the results.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner