Chris Evert: ‘You couldn’t foresee Barbora Krejcikova winning the French Open’
Chris Evert said “you couldn’t foresee” Barbora Krejcikova winning the French Open title but believes it is a “richly deserved” triumph.
Unseeded Czech Krejcikova defeated Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in three sets to win her maiden Grand Slam singles title in her first final.
Eurosport expert Evert said: “She is shellshocked right now. She’s still in the moment and has that competitor mindset and it takes a while to decompartmentalise that fact that she’s won a Grand Slam.
“I don’t think she’s realised yet but she is in the history books now and is on the same [list as] Helen Wills, Suzanne Lenglen, Serena [Williams]. That is going to blow her mind.
“It was a random final, you just couldn’t foresee her winning this tournament but if you look back at her results and how calm and collected she was and got herself out of trouble in all of her matches, it was richly deserved.
“At 5-3 I thought – please don’t throw this away – because she had unforced errors and you could tell she was so nervous. They changed sides and she just had to reset and collect herself and say ‘I’m not going to let this go’ and she came through in the end.”
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner