‘Carlos Alcaraz has mark of a Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andy Murray’, says ATP star
A former top 10 player said Carlos Alcaraz has “the mark ” of a Novak Djokovic, a Roger Federer, or an Andy Murray after he claimed his first ATP title.
Richard Gasquet thinks the rising Spanish star “does everything” and believes the 18-year-old is a “future great player” after losing to him in the Croatia Open final.
World number 55 Alcaraz cruised past the 35-year-old Frenchman 6-2, 6-2 in the title match at the ATP 250 event in Umag – his first tour final.
“Alcaraz plays the game of the young people of today, he takes [the ball] early, he hits hard, he has a good technique, he feels the game,” former world number seven Gasquet told L’Equipe.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) July 25, 2021
“Where you see that he is a future great player, it is that he can just as well attack than defend, and that is the mark of a Djokovic, a Federer, a Murray. He does everything. It is not stereotypical.
“If he has to go up [to the net], he does, for example. He plays amazing tennis, and he’s only 18 years old. He hits hard from both sides, he serves well, he’s quick.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner