Carlos Alcaraz dominates Casper Ruud to reach Marbella semi-finals
Carlos Alcaraz produced a stunning display to dismantle Casper Ruud and reach the semi-finals of the Andalucia Open on Friday.
The 17-year-old Spaniard beat the Norwegian 6-2, 6-4 in an hour and 20 minutes in the quarter-finals of the ATP 250 event in Marbella. Alcaraz unleashed a barrage of winners from the baseline, and broke the world No. 26 five times.
The world No. 133 became the youngest player to reach an ATP semi-final since Alexander Zverev at Hamburg in 2014.
“Well, it has been a great match against a great player,” Alcaraz said in an on-court interview.
“Casper Ruud is obviously a really good tennis player, so I had to play a good game. Try to be aggressive all the time.
“I feel really comfortable here in Marbella, on court. So, I try to play a good game.
“I try to don’t think about that (being the youngest ATP semi-finalist since Zverev), I try to play my game. Try to be focused all the time.”
The 17-year-old will face compatriot Jaume Munar in the last four on Saturday and he could become the youngest player to reach an ATP final since his idol Rafael Nadal at Auckland in 2004.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner