Black and Huber win year-end No.1 race
Zimbabwes Cara Black and American Liezel Huber will end 2008 as the best doubles pair in the world, the WTA has confirmed.
As well as winning the 2008 US Open their fourth grand slam title together the pair have claimed another seven doubles trophies this year.
“It’s been a great season for us” – Liezel Huber
Their first success of the season came in Antwerp and was followed by silverware in Dubai, Berlin, Birmingham, Eastbourne, Stanford, Montreal and New York.
Cara Black and partner featured in yet another final on Sunday at the tier 1 Kremlin Cup in Moscow, but lost out to Nadia Petrova and Katarina Srebotnik in straight sets.
It is the second successive season that the pair will share the end-of-year top spot in womens doubles.
We are very excited to be at the top of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour doubles rankings, said 29-year-old Black.
Staying at the top is our ultimate goal and we want to try to stay there as long as we can.
Its nice to be able to reach your goal even before the year is over. We worked really hard this year and had some really good focus going.
We struggled a little bit at the slams this year, but winning the US Open was incredible.
Our goal every year is to win as many tournaments as possible. We are really excited and pleased with being the world No.1s.
South African-born Huber, 33, said the team had gathered momentum as the year progressed.
We started off slower than last year but we ended on a high and we are very happy.
Sign up for Tennishead email news alerts
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner