Cameron Norrie beats Marin Cilic to reach second career ATP final
British star Cameron Norrie battled past Marin Cilic to reach the final in Estoril and only the second ATP final of his career.
The World No 50 defeated the former Grand Slam champion 7-6(5), 7-5 in two hours to book his place in Sunday’s final, where he will face either Albert Ramos-Vinolas or Alejandro Davidovich Fokina.
Norrie quickly recovered from a 3-0 deficit in the first set to force a tie break before clinching the second set as Cilic served to stay in the match.
Despite a dominant display behind his first serve winning 83% of first serve points, Cilic was punished behind his second serve, winning just 12 of 32 points (38%).
Norrie was equally devastating on first serve points winning 80%, though was far more comfortable than the Croatian behind the second serve which proved to be the telling difference, winning 55% of points.
“I started a little bit slow and managed to ease my way into the match and played really good on break points down,” said Norrie.
“He [Cilic] was serving great and it was tricky to return his first serves but I was fortunate enough to face a couple of second serves in the final game.
“I am really happy to be into my second ever final. I am stoked to be through.”
Norrie, who also impressed in Barcelona last week before losing to Rafael Nadal in the quarter-finals, admitted he is happy with his current level.
“I am keeping a really consistent level. I am playing on my terms and being the one dictating points. That’s the reason why I am having a bit of success.
“I just want to keep improving. It’s been a brilliant two weeks on the clay and I am moving better as the matches go on.”
The 25-year-old books his place in his first ATP final since Auckland in 2019 where he lost 6-4 6-2 to Tennys Sandgren.
FIRST FINAL ON CLAY!
Cameron Norrie still ON FIRE 🔥 this week, beats Marin Cilic 7-6(5), 7-5 to reach the @EstorilOpen final.
2nd career tour final for the British #2 pic.twitter.com/HPXpJ2Afq0
— Millennium #EstorilOpen (@EstorilOpen) May 1, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner