British number one progresses with ‘amazing’ Wimbledon win
Dan Evans started his 2021 Wimbledon campaign in fine fashion by defeating Spaniard Feliciano Lopez in straight sets.
World No. 26 Evans defeated the 39-year-old 7-6, 6-2, 6-4 in two hours and two minutes in the opening round on No. 2 Court at the All England Club.
The first set went with serve all the way to force a tie-break. The Brit took an early 4-1 lead and eventually took it 7-4 to claim a crucial opening set.
Evans took early control in the second when breaking for a 4-2 lead, playing some beautiful tennis. The Brit’s assault continued as he produced another fine break to secure set number two 6-2.
The 31-year-old then survived two break points at 3-3, before finding his best tennis to take the third and final set 7-5 in front of an excited British crowd.
— LTA (@the_LTA) June 29, 2021
“It was great, thanks everyone for coming out. It’s amazing to be back playing at Wimbledon. I didn’t realise it would be so busy with fans, I’m delighted to win and played some great tennis at times. Lopez was difficult to play against.”
“I’m working hard to get to the right place in my game, it’s going really well. Hopefully this afternoon I watch England win.” Evans said in his post-match interview.
Evans will face either Dusan Lajovic or Gilles Simon in the second round.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner