Biggest ever Wimbledon expansion delayed until end of decade
The biggest expansion in the history of Wimbledon is not expected to be completed until 2029, according to a consultation exercise with local residents.
This means that the qualifying event looks set to remain at the Bank of England Sports Centre in Roehampton until the end of the decade.
Qualifying had been planned to be brought onto the expanded Wimbledon site by 2025.
In the consultation document, residents were told: “If we receive planning permission from the London boroughs of Merton and Wandsworth, it will take at least six years to construct the new tennis courts.
“It will take at least two years for these courts to mature enough to be suitable to be used for the championships.”
The All England Club bought the neighbouring Wimbledon Park Golf Club in 2018 for £64 million, and payed nearly £86,000 to each of the 750 club members.
The expansion will extend Wimbledon’s current 42 acre site by an additional 73 acres.
The long-term plan has always been to add new courts and stadia to increase the current overall capacity of 40,000.
Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner