‘Big Three not backing off from Next Gen attacks’, warns Novak Djokovic
Novak Djokovic revealed he and Rafael Nadal joked “that the old guys are still not giving up” after the two rivals reached the final of the Italian Open.
The world No. 1 beat both Stefanos Tsitsipas and Lorenzo Sonego on Saturday to set up a Rome showdown with nine-time champion Nadal.
The Serbian also said he disagreed with the Spaniard’s recent comments that the Big Three of ‘Djokovic, Nadal and Federer’ are old.
“Rafa and I had a little laugh in the locker room after I won against Tsitsipas. We kind of joked around that the old guys are still not giving up,” Djokovic said following his semi-final win over Sonego.
“I saw he said somewhere a few days ago that Roger, him and I are old, but I disagree with him. I think we’re showing some different, fresh energy.
“We had a laugh about it. I’m really glad that we are showing we’re not backing off from the Next Gen attacks.
“What happens here (in Rome) is not going to make a big impact about what can happen in a couple of weeks. You play a final here, you want to win. It is one of the most important events in our sport.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner