Bianca Andreescu delays comeback again to ‘focus on Australian Open preparations’
WTA star Bianca Andreescu has removed herself from the Grampians Trophy draw to focus on her Australian Open preparations.
The 2019 US Open champion has not played for over a year now after battle a variety of injuries.
She is on track to make her comeback at the Australian Open later this month, although she has opted to go into the competition without any meaningful warm-up events.
“Following the last two weeks in quarantine, it feels so good to finally be back on the court,” Andreescu said in a statement released via her social media accounts.
“After discussing it with my team, we have decided to focus this week on training for the Australian Open and miss the Grampians.
“Many thanks to Tennis Australia and the WTA for their hard work in providing us all of these choices…See you all at the Australian Open!”
The last time Andreescu played a competitive match was at the WTA Finals in Shenzhen back in November 2019.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner