‘I know I have a big weapon’, says Matteo Berrettini after downing Alex De Minaur
Matteo Berrettini said he had to play his best tennis to defeat Alex De Minaur in straight sets and reach the final at Queen’s Club.
The top seed and world No. 9 beat the 22-year-old Australian 6-4, 6-4 in the semi-finals of the ATP 500 tournament.
The 25-year-old broke the world No. 22 once in each set and did not lose his serve for the third straight match.
“It was the goal of the week [to reach the final], but now I have one more step. Of course, making the finals is a great step, especially for the history of this tournament,” Berrettini said in an on-court interview.
“I’m really happy also because to beat Alex today I had to play my best tennis. The mentality is that I always think that I can win the [service] game.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) June 19, 2021
“The other guys, also Alex today had some great points, but I know I have a big weapon with my serve and my first shot.
“If I sleep too well [before the final], it means that something is off. I have to be nervous, I have to be tight a little bit – otherwise the adrenaline doesn’t kick in.”
Berrettini – who now has a 17-5 grass court record – will face either Denis Shapovalov or Cameron Norrie in Sunday’s final.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner