‘Biggest thing ever for an athlete’ – Belinda Bencic on her Olympic triumph
Belinda Bencic said she achieved something she did not think would be possible by winning the gold medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
The Swiss described the Games as “the biggest thing ever for an athlete” and expressed her disbelief at claiming two Olympic medals.
The world number 12 defeated Marketa Vondrousova 7-5, 2-6, 6-3 in the women’s singles gold medal match to become the first Swiss woman to win gold in tennis.
Bencic is also guaranteed to win a medal in women’s doubles – and will compete for gold alongside countrywoman Viktorija Golubic tomorrow.
“I mean, you know, I will try [to win gold] again [in doubles]. I will play like it’s my last match of my career. You know, this tournament, it’s … for me, it’s not ‘this tournament’, it’s the freaking Olympic Games,” Bencic said in an on-court interview.
#Tokyo2020 Women’s Singles Podium
— ITF (@ITFTennis) July 31, 2021
“For me, this is the biggest thing ever for an athlete, so I cannot believe I have two medals and one of them is gold, and one of them is to be decided. I mean, I don’t know what to say. I mean, it’s amazing.
“I cannot really believe it right now. I just don’t get it yet. I don’t know whether to laugh or to cry. I didn’t think it would be possible. I was fighting for my life, and it worked out. I cannot believe it worked out.”
Photo credit: Kopatsch/Sato/Sidorjak
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner