‘Being in the semi-finals doesn’t satisfy me’ – Alexander Zverev eases past Davidovich Fokina
Alexander Zverev routed Alejandro Davidovich Fokina in straight sets to reach the semi-finals of the French Open for the first time.
The sixth seed prevailed 6-4, 6-1, 6-1 against the world No. 46 in the quarter-finals at Roland Garros.
“It’s very nice to be in the semi-finals but just being here doesn’t satisfy me. I know I’m playing pretty okay and I hope I can continue playing the same way, maybe even better,” said Zverev in his on-court interview.
“After the first set, I think my baseline game improved a lot. I started dominating the points much more. In the beginning I didn’t think I played that well. So, I think I can play better hopefully.”
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) June 8, 2021
The German won an erratic opening set despite twice being down a break, and being broken three times in total.
He broke his 22-year-old opponent four times, including when the Spaniard served to stay in the set at 5-4 behind.
The 24-year-old then cruised through the second set in just 25 minutes after breaking twice and not facing a break point on serve.
Zverev continued his dominance as he stormed through the third set with three breaks of serve to claim victory.
He will face either fifth seed Stefanos Tsitsipas or second seed Daniil Medvedev in the last four.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner