‘Beating Federer was an indescribable experience’, reflects Hubert Hurkacz
Hubert Hurkacz has spoken of the “self-confidence and increased willingness to win” he has gained from his Wimbledon victory against Roger Federer.
The 24-year-old Pole admitted, though, that “some hunger remained” as he felt he could have done better in his semi-final defeat to Matteo Berrettini.
The world number 11 stunned eight-time champion Federer for the loss of just nine games in the Wimbledon quarter-finals, before falling to the Italian in four sets.
“In London, [it] was a great success because it was the first time in a Grand Slam tournament that I climbed so high. However, some hunger remained, because I was close to the final and I could have played a little better against Berrettini,” Hurkacz told Dziennek.pl.
“On the other hand, Matteo showed himself from an excellent side. I think he was in great shape. There are matches in the year when everything works out and comes easily. And it was one of the Italian’s matches.
“Playing with Federer at Wimbledon Centre Court, where he has won many victories, and with an audience who supported him incredibly, is an experience that is indescribable before you experience it yourself. Certainly, this success gave me more self-confidence and increased my willingness to win.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner