WATCH: Ash Barty wins first Wimbledon title despite losing crazy point
World No. 1 Ashleigh Barty downed Karolina Pliskova in three sets to win her maiden Wimbledon title and second Grand Slam crown.
The Australian prevailed 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3 against world No. 13 Pliskova in just under two hours in the women’s singles final.
The 25-year-old made a flying start by winning the first 14 points of the match en route to racing to a 4-0 lead.
There were then three more breaks in the following three games, before Pliskova held for 3-5. Barty served the set out to love to hold off the Czech’s fightback.
The top seed made another strong start in the second set as she took a 3-1 lead, before Pliskova broke back for 3-3.
What a point, what a moment! 🤩
“Everything is going Pliskova’s way right now!”
— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) July 10, 2021
Four comfortable holds followed, until the eighth seed was broken from 40-0 up after losing five straight points.
Barty, though, faltered as she served for the championship – with Pliskova breaking back at 15 to take the set to a tiebreak.
The 29-year-old Czech won an amazing point – featuring a fortunate net cord and brilliant lob – to earn a crucial second mini-break and take a 5-2 tiebreak lead.
Pliskova closed the tiebreak out to send the contest into a deciding set.
Barty earned yet another early break in the third set as she surged to a 3-0 advantage, and she overcame nerves and saved a break point to serve out a memorable triumph.
The Australian is now a two-time major singles champion – having won the 2019 French Open.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner