Barty, Swiatek, Kenin and Muguruza all land in same half of French Open draw
Favourites Ashleigh Barty and Iga Swiatek have both been drawn in the top half of the women’s singles draw for the 2021 French Open.
Eighth seed Swiatek is the defending champion having won the rescheduled 2020 edition in October last year. World No.1 Barty won Roland Garros in 2019 – and did not play the event last year.
Fourth seed and 2020 runner-up Sofia Kenin, 2016 champion Garbine Muguruza, and three-time quarter-finalist Elina Svitolina have also fallen in a tough-looking top half.
Swiatek and 12th seed Muguruza could face off in the fourth round – with the winner of that quarter potentially playing Kenin in the last eight.
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) May 27, 2021
Barty could meet fifth seed Svitolina, or ninth seed Pliskova, in the quarter-finals.
The bottom half of the draw contains Naomi Osaka (2), Aryna Sabalenka (3), Bianca Andreescu (6) and Serena Williams (7).
Here are the projected women’s last 16 match-ups by seeding:
Ash Barty (1) vs Jennifer Brady (13)
Karolina Pliskova (9) vs Elina Svitolina (5)
Sofia Kenin (4) vs Elise Mertens (14)
Garbine Muguruza (12) vs Iga Swiatek (8)
Serena Williams (7) vs Petra Kvitova (11)
Victoria Azarenka (15) vs Aryna Sabalenka (3)
Bianca Andreescu (6) vs Belinda Bencic (10)
Kiki Bertens (16) vs Naomi Osaka (2)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner