Barty outlasts Pera to win thrilling first round French Open match
World No. 1 Ashleigh Barty survived a scare against American Bernada Pera to progress to the second round of the 2021 French Open.
The 2019 French Open champion defeated the World No. 70 Pera 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 in the first round.
“It’s so special to be back, I was disappointed to not play last year. The support is very special for me, it is close to my heart.” Barty said in her on-court interview.
“I just keep fighting. I was able to build more pressure in the third set which was important but Bernada played an incredible match.”
The 25-year-old Australian recovered from a break down to edge the first set after securing a decisive break for 5-3 – hitting 80% of first serves in the opening set.
World No.70 Pera played a brilliant second set and levelled the match by converting a second set point. Pera hit 15 winners and took the set in 38 minutes.
Barty took a medical time out at the beginning of set three to receive treatment for a back problem, but she remained focused and found some outstanding tennis to dominate the set 6-2. The Australian won 70% first serve points and saved the two break points she saved.
The world No. 1 will face Magda Linette or Chloe Paquet in the second round.
Barty has won three titles so far in 2021 and will be hoping to add another Grand Slam to her collection.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner