‘I lived out my dream’ – Ash Barty reacts to Wimbledon triumph
Ashleigh Barty said she “felt at home on court” during her victory over Karolina Pliskova as she claimed her first Wimbledon title.
The world No. 1 revealed she told herself to “just keep fighting” after losing the second set on a tiebreak having served for the title.
The Australian prevailed 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3 over the world No. 13 to claim her second Grand Slam singles crown – after the 2019 French Open.
Barty became the first Australian player to win a Wimbledon singles title since Lleyton Hewitt in 2002, and first woman since her idol Evonne Goolagong Cawley in 1980.
“This is incredible, I think I have to start with [Karolina] as well – congratulations on a fantastic tournament to you and to your team,” Barty said in her on-court interview.
“A destiny fulfilled!” 🤩
Ash Barty, #Wimbledon champion!
— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) July 10, 2021
“I love testing myself against you and I’m sure we’ll play many, many more matches. I have to genuinely thank every single person in this stadium. You have made my dream so special.
“[I told myself at the start of the third set]: just keep fighting. [Karolina] is an incredible competitor, she brought out the very best of me today. It was an exceptional match right from the start and I had to bring my very best level.
“I was really proud of myself the way I was able to reset and just keep going, just keep chipping away at the start of that third set, and hold my nerve there in the end.
“(Laughs) I can’t remember it (the match point). It took me a long time to verbalise the fact that I wanted to, to dare to dream it, and say that I wanted to win this incredible tournament.
“And being able to live out my dream right now with everyone here has made it better than I ever could have imagined. I didn’t sleep a lot last night, thinking of all the what-ifs.
“But I think when I was out on this court, I felt at home in a way, and I think being able to share that with everyone here, to share that with my team – is incredible.”
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner