‘A tough, disappointing day’ – Ash Barty upset in Olympics opener
World number one Ashleigh Barty is out of the Tokyo Olympics after a stunning defeat to Sara Sorribes Tormo.
The Wimbledon champion was downed 6-4, 6-3 by the Spaniard in the first round of the 2020 Games on her Olympic debut.
World number 48 Sorribes Tormo will face Fiona Ferro – who beat Anastasija Sevastova – in the second round.
“It was a tough day, a disappointing day. I can’t lie about that. It was just loose,” Barty told the Seven Network.
“I knew I wanted to try and take the match on today and it was going to be a fine line of pushing too hard and not getting stuck into patterns I didn’t want to get stuck in. [I was] just too erratic today, I wasn’t able to make enough balls.
“(On the heat) Yeah, it’s brutal, but this is like an Australian summer for me. I quite enjoy the heat. I love playing out here in these kind of conditions, but it wasn’t meant to be today.”
In the opening set, Sorribes Tormo broke twice to race to a 4-1 lead, and held off a Barty fightback to convert a third set point.
The pair exchanged breaks to start the second set, before the 24-year-old crucially broke for 4-3 after the Australian had led 40-0.
Sorribes Tormo struck again to seal a superb triumph as Barty served to stay in the match.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner